Tax Rebate Image

How To Claim A Tax Rebate in Ireland

Claiming a Tax Rebate in Ireland

Claiming a Tax Rebate is a lot easier than you think. Yet, every year thousands of people who are entitled to a tax rebate do not apply. They might be put off because they think that dealing with the tax office will be time consuming and complicated. Fortunately, you now have the option of applying through an agency which makes things as simple as possible. What’s more there is no risk involved. If it turns out that you are not entitled to any money back, you won’t be charge for our services.


When can I claim tax back?

You can apply for a rebate anytime and you can have your claim backdated for up to four years.  This means that you could be entitled to four years’ worth of overpayments. So even a small annual overpayment can build up into a substantial amount if left unclaimed.

Can I claim tax back online?

You can, and it is by far the simplest way to do it. By filling out our online form, you give us permission to act on your behalf. Because we are a registered and approved agency, we can work directly with the tax office and get access to the tax information they hold. To Claim Online, Check Out Rebates.ie



How long does it take?

It usually takes between two and four weeks from filling in a form to completing the process and sending you any money you might be entitle to.


How much could I get back?

How much you get back depends on how much you have overpaid. The average pay out is €685. You can claim back any PAYE tax that has been wrongly deducted from your salary. For example, this might be the result of paying emergency tax when starting a new job. Sometimes when a new employer does not have all your tax information, they may deduct a higher rate than you should be paying. Also, if you have a drop in your income or become unemployed it could turn out that you have over paid tax.


Other things you can claim for

You can also claim tax relief on certain expenses. These include tuition fees if you are supporting a child or family member at college or university. You can also claim for medical and dental expenses. However, although you cannot claim for routine dental treatment you can claim against the more specialist treatment such as root canal treatment, braces, bridges and orthodontics. Similarly, although you can’t claim for routine eye checks and glasses, you can claim for any specialist optical treatment recommended by your doctor. As well as claiming for your own medical costs, you can also claim for medical expenses for treatment for your children.


Depending on your occupation you might also be able to claim on certain work-related purchases.


Changes in your circumstances

Getting married, divorced, starting or ending a civil partnership can all have an affect on your tax status. But during such times in our lives, we can be so busy that thinking about the tax implications is probably the last thing on our minds. Special rules apply to couples and single parents, so, if your circumstances have changed it could result in you having paid too much tax during the relevant tax year.


And even if you have left Ireland and now live permanently in another country, you are still entitled to claim back any overpayments you made for the last four years.


How do I claim?

Claiming could not be simpler as we take care of all the paperwork and deal directly with the tax office. All you need to do is provide us with the relevant information and receipts for any expenses you are claiming. It’s always a good idea to keep your receipts but your doctor or dentist ought to be able to issue you with copies for any you have lost. What’s more we also offer a helpline so that there is someone available seven days a week to answer any questions you might have about your claim.

Submit Your Comment